It’s a question I get asked a lot – Can you over shock a hot tub or spa? It turns out that you can definitely shock a hot tub too much both purposefully and accidentally. If this happens occasionally, your hot tub will still be in good condition, but you’ll need to take extra steps to get the water back into balance.
In this article we’ll look at why people might over shock their hot tubs, what the signs are that you’ve done so, and how to prevent it from happening in the future.
So let’s dive in and learn all about avoiding an over shocked hot tub!
It is possible to over-shock a hot tub, either on purpose or by accident. Signs of over-shocking can include cloudy water, foul odors, discolored water, itchy skin and stinging eyes. Testing the water regularly and maintaining proper pH levels are essential for preventing over-shocking.
Use shock treatments sparingly and wait until the water settles before using a hot tub if you suspect that it has been over-shocked. Keep reading for more details below.
Is It Really Possible to Over Shock a Hot Tub?
It is certainly possible to over shock a hot tub. You might inadvertently add too much shock treatment to the water or you might notice that your water is extra dirty and needs extra care and support.
Doing this once in a blue moon is alright, but make sure this does not become a habit. Understand the exact level of shock treatment your tub needs so that you can maintain your tub’s condition as well as your safety.
I have a detailed series of articles and guides covering everything you need to know about shocking your hot tub. Check them out:
Causes of Over Shocking a Hot Tub or Spa
There are many reasons why you might end up over-shocking a hot tub or spa, some of which are explained below.
Improperly Balanced pH Levels
If you test your water’s pH levels and find it extremely imbalanced, shocking can be a good way of bringing the balance back to a neutral to slightly alkaline pH. However, this kind of imbalance can sometimes lead to over shocking if the pH levels are highly off.
Excessive Amounts of Chlorine or Bromine
Sanitizers end up increasing the level of chlorine or bromine in the hot tub, which can then cause trouble for your health and safety. Since shocking helps reduce these levels, you might find it necessary to over-shock the hot tub, but this will end up increasing the concentration in the water.
High Levels of Contaminants
Too many contaminants in the hot tub may arise as a result of frequent heavy use or due to the dirt around the tub. Such high contaminants might need a stronger dose of shocking to get rid of them completely, which can end up leading to over-shocking.
Excessive Use of Shock Treatments
Occasionally going beyond regular shock levels is okay. However, even with regular levels, it might be possible to over shock the hot tub if you tend to use shock treatments more often than necessary.
I have found that using such treatments every two days or so does more harm than good. I would rarely shock my tub more than once a week without a very good reason.
Signs You Are Over-Shocking Your Hot Tub or Spa
It is simple enough to spot signs of over-shocking in your hot tub. It’s important to act as soon as you notice anything out of sync. Then you can take measures to reduce the shock levels. Here are some signs you should look out for:
- Cloudy Water: Water becomes cloudy after over shocking because the chemicals may cause the contaminants to clog your tub’s filter system while also increasing the pH more than necessary.
- Foul Odor: The build-up of contaminants along with the imbalanced water might result in an unpleasant smell arising from the water.
- Discoloration in the Water: If you notice a green, red, or brown color in the water or on parts of the hot tub, this is due to the build-up of algae and other bacteria as well as the effect of the strong chemicals in the shock treatment.
- Itchy Skin: Overshocking leads to the presence of harsh chemicals like chlorine, potassium, or sulfates in the water, resulting in red and itchy skin.
- Stinging Eyes: These chemicals can also lead to red and stinging eyes when you enter the hot tub, thus pointing to over-shocking.
- White Scale Build-Up on Surfaces: Over-shocking leads to hard water, resulting in an increase in calcium in your hot tub that ends up sticking to the surfaces and causing white scales to settle there.
Remember there can be other causes of these issues. Always test the water – it only takes a few minutes and should be part of your regular schedule.
Preventing Over-Shock in Your Hot Tub
To prevent over-shocking your hot tub, go through the following precautions you should take.
Test the Water Regularly: Buy a test strip to keep checking the pH and hardness levels of the water in your hot tub. Make sure you also check it for contaminants by seeing how dirty the water looks. This kind of testing will help determine when and how much to shock.
Maintain Proper pH Levels: Always keep the pH levels in check. Use water pumps and add a pH increaser or reducer to bring the levels back to normal.
Check the Sanitizer Level: Too much sanitizer can lead to too many chloramines or bromamines, which is why you should check how much of it you use each time.
Add Shock Sparingly: Use shock treatments only based on your usage and based on how your water looks.
It is possible to over shock a hot tub either on purpose or by mistake. Keep an eye out for signs of too much shock, like cloudy water, foul odors, discolored water and itchy skin.
To avoid over-shocking your hot tub, use shock treatments sparingly based on how often you use it and its appearance. Also test the pH levels and make sure they are properly balanced with a pH increaser or reducer if needed.
Always keep your hot tub balanced with proper shocking practices and a routine maintenance schedule so that the need to over shock never arises. Use less harsh shocking methods and stick to shocking on an occasional basis or whenever the need arises.
Do not enter the hot tub if you over-shock it; wait for it to settle and test the level before using it.
That just about covers it. Remember to check my other “shocking” guides!